July 30, 2011

Carmelized Onion Hummus

I went on an adventure today and got myself a Ukelele!

I've decided, as a side project, to teach myself to play the ukelele, as I have always wanted to learn a stringed instrument, but the guitar makes my hands feel like they've been stabbed by a million tiny needles after about 2 minutes of playing it... my hands are tiny!

However, The Ukelele, after probably 2 hours of combined playing this evening is going quite well! I can already play 4 1/2 chords, C, D, F, A, and sort of G (my fingering chart says I'm playing it right, but it sure sounds mighty wonky!) I declare that a win for the day!

In other news, we adventured to the market, and picked up a delightful slew of fresh vegetables. (Including my personal fave- Blue Potatoes! They seem mighty purple to me though, lol)

But, instead of tantalizing you with what I'm making with them (which is as of now nothing) I instead made some delicious Carmelized Onion hummus!
Carmelized Onion Hummus
Ingredients
1 can Chickpeas, water drained into a bowl and set aside
1 tbsp tahini (or any nut butter will work!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 medium onion, sliced into rings and then cut in half
2 tbsp olive oil (for frying onions)
2 tbsp olive oil (for hummus)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Directions
The first thing we need to do is carmelize the onions. After slicing the onions, sort of massage them in a bowl to separate all of the chunks from one another.
Heat a frying pan on low with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and add in the onions. You need to keep it on low and stir occasionally.
Here's what it looks like about five minutes in:
And here's what they look like after about 45 minutes on low:
After they're nice and carmelized, turn off the heat, and take about 1 tbsp out to use as a garnish (if you want to!)
So take your blender, and dump the chickpeas, garlic, onions, and tahini in. Add in a few tbsp of the reserved chickpea water, and turn the blender on.
Blend as much as it will, and add a bit more water. Keep doing this until smooth.
Spice with salt and pepper, and give it a last whirl. (If you have a cruddy blender like I do, your hummus will be thinner than if  you have like a vitamix you can get some nice thick hummus)
Serve with chips, and nom away!

No comments:

Post a Comment