July 6, 2011

I made me a lightbox (with a quick pasta recipe!)

I like my new apartment, I really do. It's the perfect size for Matthew and myself, it's right next to the building laundry room, and the kitchen is HUGE (If lacking in as much cupboard space as I'm used to)

However, my building doesn't have the greatest light, because the windows are small and high on the walls (basement apartment you know), so I have been very frustrated with my food pictures as of late, because they aren't as nice as they used to be. (Such a perfectionist!)

So I built a lightbox!

Luckily we had quite a few boxes left over from the move, and Matthew went out and bought me two desk lamps (due to my whining about inadequate light), so all I needed was some tissue paper and tape (Which I had due to packing!)

It's very simple. Take a box with 2 sides open, cut large square holes in either side, tape some tissue paper over them, line the back with some material/paper of your choice (I will be getting non-folded backgrounds soon!) and shine lights on either side.

And you take pictures like this:
That's my example model, a little wooden elephant. It looks pretty nice, eh? So I tried it with a bowl of leftover rice:
Not bad! It looks almost professional for something I juryrigged together in 15 minutes...

So then I tried out the first recipe with it, even adding a nice little purple background!
Super Easy Cheesy Pasta with Tomatoes 
Ingredients: (Serves 1 hungry person)
1 1/2 cups cooked pasta (any shape will do, even spaghetti if you want!
1/3 cup diced tomatoes
1 tbsp vegan margarine (I use becel vegan) or vegetable oil
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of your choosing
1/2 cup vegan cheddar (I use Daiya Cheddar- so good!)
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold water.
Dash of Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Melt the margarine in a small sauce pan, and add in the tomatoes, stewing for a few minutes.
Stir in the non-dairy milk, salt, and pepper, and bring to just a boil.
Add in the cheese, and stir until melted.
Quickly pour in the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine, removing from heat.
Mix in the pasta, pour into a bowl, and eat up right away, because it's going to satisfy your hunger big time!

As a note, this also works with frozen peas in it (So good!)

2 comments:

  1. love the diy lightbox! i might just have to rig one up for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally do it, it costs next to nothing. Since I already had a box and tape I spent 50cents on tissue paper, and most people tend to have desk lamps they can use!

    ReplyDelete