August 31, 2011

Announcement for Sept + Veggies!

Hi Darling readers!

Recently, one of my closest friends, and blog sister Ashley declared to me that she wasn't feeling particularly healthy lately. She then announced to me "You know, I think it's time. I'm going to finally join you and go fully vegan."

To this, I applaud her! However, it was then followed by something I hear variations of all the time. "I have no idea what I should eat."

The most common version I hear is "What do vegans eat?" (a much better version of "Where do you get your protein?" But we've all heard that, amirite?)

So this month, I want to help out with this conundrum, in two ways- Every week I will be posting an easy to make and nutritionally balanced (as well as yummy balanced) recipe, as WELL as twice a week posting lunch recipes to bring to work/school! (Sandwiches begone!)

However, I've been sort of letting the blog slide by the wayside for the past few weeks (My bad!) so I am posting the first recipe today, on the 31rst of August, as a post of goodwill.
Roasted Mixed Vegetables
Ingredients:
Mixed Vegetables
1/2 can chickpeas
Olive Oil
coarse Salt
Pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400
Chop up your vegetables into coarse chunks
Chuck them and the chickpeas into a casserole dish, and drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over them, and sprinkle on some coarse salt, and freshly ground pepper.
Mix up to combine.
Put the veggies into the oven, and bake for like 45 minutes, taking them out and mixing them up every 10 minutes or so to get everything cooked up nicely.
Once it's all baked up, eat up!

So delicious!

What vegetables did I use? Tonight I used an eggplant, radishes, carrots, and a pepper. I know that radishes might seem weird, but they are actually quite wonderful when roasted!

What other vegetables could a new vegan use for good roasting? Here are a few ideas: Broccoli, Cauliflower, plantains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and even fruit like apples and pineapple!

To complete your meal, I like to serve it on top of brown rice, however it would also work on top of pasta, mostly fusili.

But what to top the rice and veggies with! The answer is very simple:
 nom nom nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment