June 20, 2011

A delightful salad for a delightful day

I have a confession to make.

I'm a vegan who's not big on Salads.

I think this spawned from my adolescence, when I was quite horribly overweight, and my mother (pitying me in my obese and awkward state) would try to encourage me to eat healthier by making me salads. Thus a bitterness stemmed from my salad eating, a snarky feeling in which Salads represented everything that was wrong with my body.

I now know this is ridiculous, and now I eat much healthier, am not obese, and think to myself "I should give salads another try, after all, they aren't the devil." But still cannot force myself to actually get down to it and make a salad.

This ends today, for today I have made a beautiful salad, and it all has to do with this bottle of white balsamic vinegar I picked up at the store today. I was wandering around looking for some lunch inspiration, and there it was, sitting there. An Errant thought popped into my head: "That would make a nice vinaigrette!"




Raspberry Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
A few handfuls baby spinach
A slice widthwise from a purple onion, cut into smaller pieces
A handful of Raspberries (You can also substitute sliced strawberries like my mum does, but I'm not a huge fan of Strawberries meself)

Vinaigrette:
One Part Olive Oil
One Part White Balsamic Vinegar 
One Part Dijon or Brown Mustard

Directions:
Arrange Spinach, onions, and raspberries on a plate. 
Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients into a container with a lid. Shake well until combined. 
Pour vinaigrette onto salad to taste (I make mine in a squeeze bottle so it's easy to pour!)



2 comments:

  1. (gasp) A vegan who doesn't like salads? I think you just turned my world upside down. :) I wasn't a big fan of salads until a couple of years ago when I realized how much fun stuff I could put in there besides greens. This salad looks beautiful! Sometimes a delicious vinaigrette makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and I'm super picky on my salad dressings, if it's too strong or not strong enough I get turned off, lol

    ReplyDelete