July 19, 2011

Dinner with the Mums

Here's a look at what I did today!

Isn't it pretty? I was re-potting flowers today! My mums and myself went to a little nursery in the middle of nowhere, and all of their annuals were on sale for 99cents a box! It was amazing!

They had so many pretty flowers. I'm not usually a big fan of flowers. To be specific, I'm not a fan of cut flowers, whilst potted plants I find quite nice. So I re-potted two boxes of plants to bring home to brighten up the new apartment!

Very excited about this!

I also made dinner for my mums tonight!

I absolutely adore making dinner for my mother, because she is such a great consumer of food. She's not big on cooking, and she's not particularly creative in a kitchen, so she is constantly amazed at what I put in front of her. I have to admit, it's nice having a captive audience who shows the highest level of enjoyment that is possible while eating food.
she looks sort of cranky, but she was raving about the food!

So I made her some fake General Tao's tofu!
Faux General Tao's Tofu
Ingredients:
Sauce:
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes

Breading:
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
dash of salt
dash of pepper
Almond milk, for dipping

Other:
1/2 block firm tofu, pressed and cut into squares or triangles
Oil for deep frying
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp peanut oil
Rice, to serve it with

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all of the sauce mixture, set aside.
Heat the oil for deep frying on high on the stove. (or use your deep fryer if you have one!)
In another bowl, mix together all of the breading, except for the almond milk.
Dip the tofu into the almond milk, and then toss in the breading mixture.
Deep fry the tofu for a minute or so, until the outside is crispy.
Place on a paper towel to drain.
In a wok, heat the peanut oil, and fry the garlic, onion, mushrooms and carrots, until the carrots are softened.
Give the sauce a stir to re-integrate the cornstarch, and pour into the wok. Add the tofu, and mix until the sauce is thickened and everything is nice and coated.
Pour over rice, and eat with every sign of enjoyment!

No comments:

Post a Comment