August 6, 2011

Happy Saturday! Eat some Falafel Like things

Oh my what a week!

I have a bit of a long-winded story coming up, but this image you see is the recipe at the end of it, so read through, or feel free to scroll down to the recipe if you want!

I've been on a bit of a very slow updating for the past two weeks, and I TOTALLY apologize! I will be updating with much more frequency next week, however I was dealing with some ridiculous things this week, the most painful being my outstanding tuition debt.

A bit of a background to this ridiculousness: Last September I was trying to fill out a Quebec student loan form. I used to just fill out SL forms from New Brunswick (where I was born) but Matthew and I are considered married by the government, and he is a Quebec resident, so I am now a QC resident. I had never filled out a QC Student Loan form in my life, and screwed it up royally. They didn't TELL me I had screwed it up, they just told me I was rejected. So I thought to myself "I might be able to pay this!"

Le shock, I wasn't. It was a failure on all levels.

So come the summer, I think to myself, "This is okay, I won't take courses this summer, and I'll only have to find like 4000$" My mom had agreed to give me 3000$, so I only needed 1000, which is TOTALLY dooable, and I had already paid (through my job) like 700$, so I was in the clear. (So I thought)

Did you know that at Concordia University, if you're a graduate student, you pay summer tuition EVEN if you don't take any classes?

I didn't, and my tuition shot up to 7000$. Meanwhile, a tree falls on my mother's house, and the 3000$ she had slated for me now went to fixing her house. I am in the lurch!

So I drag myself down to the Student Loan office, where I cry my eyes out to a really nice lady named Sarah. She listens to my story, and says "You applied for a Quebec Student Loan? I can fix this!"

She proceeds to pull up forms, print out new forms, highlight exactly what I need to fill out and what documents I need to bring, and tells me that she's going to get me my loan for the last year, so my tuition will be paid, and she'll also help me fill out the loan for NEXT year, so this doesn't happen again.

She deserves a raise!

However, after that long tale that you most likely didn't care about too much, I give you Fake Falafels!
Fake (But Yummy) Falafels
Ingredients:
1 Can Chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp Cilantro Paste (or like 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro)
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
2-4 tbsp buckwheat flour (for texture- you can use any type of flour you want, by the by)
salt & pepper, a few shakes of each

olive oil
cornmeal

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375
In a food processor, Add the chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper and cumin. Process until smoothish.
Add in the baking soda. Process until well mixed.
While the machine is running, slowly add in a tablespoon at a time of the flour. Once it's thick, and starting to not stick to the side of the processor, it's enough flour.
Cover a cookie sheet in parchment paper and set to the side.
Put some olive oil in one bowl, and some cornmeal in another bowl.
Make ping-pong ball sized balls out of the mixture, and flatten them slightly. Coat in the oil, and then cornmeal, and then place them on the cookie sheet. Do this for all of the mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Enjoy with garlic sauce and hummus!
I even made my own garlic sauce, and it's very simple. I shall share it with you!

Super Easy Garlic Sauce
Ingredients
1 bulb of garlic
Olive oil
1/2 cup Vegannaise

Directions
Preheat oven to 400.
Peel off the outer layers of the garlic, and very carefully with a paring knife cut off the tops of each individual clove, exposing the insides.
Place the bulb on a sheet of tinfoil, and drizzle with olive oil.
Wrap up the foil, and place in the oven for about 45-60 minutes. (The garlic will be very squishy!)
Once the garlic has cooled, squeeze it into a blender with the vegannaise, and blend until smooth.

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment