October 3, 2011

Gettin in Shape, and A Cheesy Soup

I am no stranger to weight loss/getting in shape. In fact, I once lost 70 lb in one year, which was pretty much my most memorable attribute in many people's eyes. In fact, I saw a friend's father recently, who hadn't seen me in the six years since I left highschool, and his only comment was "Natalia! You shrunk!".

Yes, many a year ago (okay, 3 years ago) I weighed over 200lb, was sort of known as the jolly chubby sister/friend, and ate horribly. Then I found veganism (Cue magic music) and in a year of eating wholesome vegan balanced meals, and exercising, I dropped 70lb. (See Photo. As an aside to the photo, I enjoy that my taste in eye wear doesn't seem to alter)

However, that was a year ago, and I've gotten a bit lax and gained back a bit of the weight (nothing major, like 20lb in a year) Curse my love of potato chips and french fries! (I'm a deep fried potato nut!)

This wouldn't really be much of a problem, because I'm not obese, just slightly chunky, and I'm fairly happy with myself, however next July looms an EVENT.

I'm getting Married. In a big wedding (150 people, which might not be huge for weddings, but it's big for me!), and everyone's eyes will be on me, and I'll have camera flashing away for an entire day. I don't like being the center of attention in the best of times, but when there's cameras involved to document it? Freak out.

So, starting today I've begun my new "no junk food and perhaps exercise you lazy bum" get in shape routine to lose that 20lb again. Maybe 30. But no more than that (I think I'd start to look really weird, because I have a large ribcage, I'd be all ribcage!)

So for exercise today, I did a solid 20 minute cardio and ab circuit, and sat down to try to come up with some healthy veggieful recipes that would be filling and delicious. And wouldn't you know it, I had made one this weekend?
Cauliflower Carrot Cheese Soup
Makes about 6 Servings
Ingredients
1 Medium Head of Cauliflower, chopped into pieces
3 Medium sized carrots, chopped into pieces
3 Cups water with a bouillon cube or 3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup Daiya Cheddar
Non Dairy Milk
Freshly ground salt and pepper

Directions
In a large pot, bring the Water with bouillon or stock to boil.
Add in the Cauliflower and carrots, cooking until softened.
Allow the soup to cool for about 15 minutes.
Blend the soup in a blender until creamy. You may have to do this in portions, and add a bit of Non-dairy milk to smooth it out and reach the desired consistency.
Return the soup to the pot, and add in the cup of Daiya.
On medium heat, stir the soup until the Daiya melts into it.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and Enjoy!
Anyone else trying to get healthier?

As an aside, any larger breasted women looking for a good exercise bra, I would check out this one. It's the one I use, I've had it for over 6 months, and it still works great!

No comments:

Post a Comment