May 20, 2012

Grilled Veggie Sandwich

I have a sandwich thing. My thing is that I love sandwiches.

Not that big of a thing, I know. But when you find out you can no longer eat wheat, regular sandwiches are pretty much the first thing to go. And if you don't want to bake your own bread, for whatever reason, and have to buy store bought gluten free bread, non-grilled sandwiches are then out of the question, because the bread texture can be... iffy to say the least. Usually it's a weird crumbly mess, and it's just downright sad.

So, if you're like me, you move into the realm of paninis, because you can make grilled sammiches, or wraps, or even grill your own veggies quite easily, and they taste pretty good, even with iffy bread.

This weekend I got paid from my babysitting job (Worked 3 consecutive jobs over 2 days, was very tired afterwards!) and I said to my self, "Natalia, you know what you deserve? I good ol grilled sammich stuffed to the rafters with stuff. Not just any stuff. Your favorite stuff."

So I did. Here is that sandwich:
Grilled Veggie and Daiya Sammich

Ingredients (For 2 sandwiches):
4 slices gluten free bread
1/2 ripe avocado, sliced into slices
a few Mushrooms, sliced
fresh basil leaves
A few slices of tomato
Tofu cut into slices. (Marinated or not, it tends to still taste pretty good. I used some BBQ marinated)
A handful of Daiya Cheddar
Veganaise, salt, and pepper- to taste.

Directions:
Heat up your panini press. If you don't have a panini press, you can make this like a grilled sandwich in a pan, but it's easier with a press. (I think everyone, money able, should get an electric grill press, OR, like my sister got me at a thrift store, a stovetop grill press) I have also heard of people using waffle irons to make grilled sandwiches, but have never tried it myself. So many options!
So spread however much vegannaise you want on one side of each of the bread slices. If you're using an electric press, I've found you don't need to put any margarine or oil on the outside of the bread, but if you're going stovetop you might have to!
Then, layer up your stuff. The order of the layer doesn't matter so much, but I've found that the Daiya is best melted when it's right next to the bread.
Grill until the daiya is melted, and the bread is crispy.
Eat. EAT AND LOVE LIFE! 


No comments:

Post a Comment