July 30, 2012

Delicious Eggplant Garlic Pasta

I always love serving people food that's not noticeably vegan. What do I mean? I mean food that would be vegan anyway, even if it was made by non-vegans.

It's always nice, when dealing with skeptics over food, to serve things that would be vegan anyway, like this sort of pasta dish, as it lulls them into a false sense of security that nothing is changing... and that's when you can snag them to change their minds on veganism!

As a note, I half did this at the wedding, which was completely vegan, and put half dishes that would have been vegan anyway (veggie samosas, veggie sushi, etc) and then put in things that were more out there, but still delicious (spicy marinated tofu satay, vegan cheese sauce on nachos, etc) And I had several comments to the tune of "If I ate like this all the time, I could be vegan too, I think." To whit I'd reply "I do, and I am!"

But onto the recipe!

Eggplant Garlic Pasta

Ingredients:

3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped fine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small eggplant, cubed
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tomato, diced
2 spring onions, sliced
1 serving of cooked pasta of your choice (I used quinoa pasta!)
White wine, salt, pepper (to taste)
Baby spinach leaves, for garnish/serving with (optional)


Directions:

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant. Add in the mushrooms, and continue to cook until they start to give off liquid. 
Add in the eggplant, frying until cooked through. Add a dash of white wine (optional, but so good!)
Add in the tomatoes and spring onions, cooking for about 1 minute to lose the raw taste. 
Finally, add in the pasta, tossing together, and add more white wine and the salt and pepper if desired. Cook until the wine liquid dissapates. 
Serve with baby spinach, or a salad, if you want (or are trying to impress someone!)



No comments:

Post a Comment